[ppml] PI Policy 2005-01/2006-04: Identifying/filtering prefixes

Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com
Fri Apr 7 04:23:20 EDT 2006

> Issue/topic: is it desirable/necessary to be able to identify PI
> prefixes for filtering purposes? If so, how will this be achieved?

Yes, all PI addresses must come out of a defined address
range that is used only for PI addresses.

Further, I think that we should specify at least some of
ARIN's allocation algorithm here. Since PI blocks are intended
to go to private enterprises who do not constantly grow their
networks as fast as ISPs, we should specify that ARIN does not
use any sparse allocation techniques intended to reserve
additional space for an applicant.

And, of course, you all know that I think ARIN's algorithm
should include selecting the address from subranges associated
with the geographical region in which the applicant's main
connectivity is located. This is to be determined by asking
the applicant in which city their main connectivity will be.
And, of course, ARIN will reserve sufficient space for each
subrange so that the range is unlikely to be used up for
the foreseeable future, say 10 years. No doubt this will require
ARIN to apply to IANA for the required address space.

--Michael Dillon