[ppml] Policy Proposal 2006-4: IPv6 Direct PI Assignments forEnd Sites - revised text

Marshall Eubanks tme at multicasttech.com
Tue Apr 4 13:22:36 EDT 2006

Dear Andrew;

On Apr 4, 2006, at 11:53 AM, Andrew Dul wrote:

>>> http://www.arin.net/policy/nrpm.html#six29
>>>
>>> 6.2.9. End site
>>> An end site is defined as an end user (subscriber) who has a
>>> business
>>> relationship with a service provider that involves:
>>>
>>> that service provider assigning address space to the end user
>>> that service provider providing transit service for the end user to
>>> other sites
>>> that service provider carrying the end user's traffic.
>>> that service provider advertising an aggregate prefix route that
>>> contains the end user's assignment
>>>

>>  As I read this, an end site cannot be multi-homed, so
>>  how can conditions 2 and 3 be simultaneously met ?
>>
>>            2. be an end site;
>>            3. be currently multihomed using IPv4;
>>

> We can easily strike the "end site" requirement from the policy
> proposal if people think that it causes confusion.

Well, I think it has caused confusion.

I originally interpreted this as something like a non-transit AS - a
network, regardless of geographic extent,
which does not provide any access from one outside network to another.

In that case, maybe "end network", with a definition, would be more
appropriate.

If something else is meant, I think that you need to either spell it
out or give a reference.

Regards
Marshall