[ppml] Policy Proposal 2005-1: Provider Independent IPv6 Assignments for End-sites - Revised Text

Marshall Eubanks tme at multicasttech.com
Mon Sep 26 11:46:39 EDT 2005

Hello;

This proposal seems like such a radical change in the original 2005-1 (unless I am
reading it incorrectly) that frankly I think it would have been more appropriate to have given it a
new designation.

(BTW, was there discussion of the 100,000 end nodes requirements on the list ? I don't recall any.)

Note that, for most end users, a device connected to the Internet is likely to cost order $ 1000
each, and there is likely to be no more than 2 or 3 Internet connected devices per employee. So,
we are talking about making /48 address blocks directly available to large corporations, with
a minimum of $ 100 million in  equipment expenditures. That is not the spirit that I understood the
original 2005-1, which was (at least in my understanding) aimed more at companies that needed
to multihome, without such a strict size filters.

I cannot support the  current 2005-1 as I read it. I welcome attempts to convince me of the errors
of my ways.

Regards
Marshall Eubanks