[ppml] Policy Proposal 2005-5: IPv6 HD ratio

Edward Lewis Ed.Lewis at neustar.biz
Fri Sep 16 10:25:54 EDT 2005

At 15:42 +0700 9/13/05, Randy Bush wrote:
>>  Consensus did not appear to be reached on the end-site subnet
>>  size of the APNIC policy (ARIN policy proposal 2005-8).
>
>the basis for this rejection was seeing that /56, /48/, ... are
>classful addresses all over again.  and enough folk who had lived
>through the classful disaster last time happened to be in the room.

Some other comments made by attendees:

NIRs and LIRs in the APNIC region have already built their address
management software around the /48 size, to them seeing a different
size in a policy proposal would be a real pain.  Even if the space
they have already doled out was "grand-fathered" to be /48's and not
/56's, they would still incur a cost of some retooling.

I.e., in the APNIC region, IPv6 is already past "early adopter" status.

Having heard discussions of this proposal at ARIN, RIPE and APNIC, I
came up with a suggestion to eliminate any operational recommendation
from the proposal as this always seems to engender a rat hole
argument over how to use IPv6.  I.e., drop the "/48 vs. /56"
discussion from the policy.

Instead, the policy ought to me more clearly focused on "measurement
of address use" for the sake of deciding when more space is to be
granted.  This is partly a wording trick to clarify the intent of the
policy and to keep discussion from rat holing.    But this is more
than just a trick - it's also trying to keep RIR policies in the
realm where "they belong," i.e., address management and not
operational directives.  (The HD ratio change is well within the
bailiwick of address allocation management.)

 From http://www.apnic.net/meetings/20/docs/transcripts/policy-sig.txt:

"GEOFF HUSTON:

Usage rather than recommended deployment is what you're saying, thank
you."