[ppml] Policy Proposal 2005-7: Rationalize Multi-Homing Definition and Requirement - Clarifying Edit.....

Bill Darte billd at cait.wustl.edu
Mon Oct 31 15:29:36 EST 2005

Alec Peterson said....
> Hi all,
>
> On Oct 31, 2005, at 11:07, Member Services wrote:
>
> > The ARIN Advisory Council (AC), acting under the provisions of the
> > ARIN
> > Internet Resource Policy Evaluation Process (IRPEP), has reviewed
> > policy
> > proposal 2005-7 and has determined that there is community
> > consensus in
> > favor of the proposal to move it to last call. The AC made this
> > determination at their meeting at the conclusion of the ARIN Public
> > Policy meeting on October 27, 2005. The results of the AC
> meeting were
> > reported by the Chair of the AC at the member meeting. This
> report can
> > be found at
> > http://www.arin.net/meetings/minutes/ARIN_XVI/mem.html
> >
> > The AC moved 2005-7 to last call as revised. The AC revised
> 2005-7 by
> > adding a third paragraph to the policy statement to modify Section
> > 4.3.2.2.
>
> It should be noted that while this was discussed at the
> public policy
> meeting a sense of the room was not gathered on this change.  If
> anybody does object to this change they should speak up here.
>
> For what it's worth, I did object to this during the AC meeting on
> Thursday, not because I disagree with the change itself, but rather
> because ARIN policy has a history of distinguishing between
> assignments and allocations, and I felt it was not a 'minor'
> change.
> So, the only issue I saw with it was a procedural one rather
> than one
> that would cause any problem with the policy.
>
> Alec

Specifically what Alec is alluding to is the addition of an edit to 4.3.2.2
and thus the inclusion of the modified text as part of 2005-7

The ORIGINAL 4.3.2.2 text was...
"For multihomed end-users, the minimum block of IP address space assigned is
a /22. If assignments smaller than a /22 are needed, multihomed end-users
should contact their upstream providers. When prefixes are assigned which
are longer than /20, they will be from a block reserved for that purpose."

The proposed language becomes...
"For end-users who demonstrate an intent to announce the requested space in
a multihomed fashion, the minimum block of IP address space assigned is a
/22. If assignments smaller than a /22 are needed, multihomed end-users
should contact their upstream providers. When prefixes are assigned which
are longer than /20, they will be from a block reserved for that purpose."

As such, the first sentence of 4.3.2.2 is 'clarified' to explicitly state
the expectation that addresses assigned for multihoming will be used for
multihoming....and use language consistent with the 4.2.2.2 and 4.2.2.2.2
used in 2005-7.

This clarification was deemed by the AC to be prudent and NOT represent
material change to the policy on multihoming.

Bill Darte
ARIN AC