[ppml] early adopter advantage

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Sat Oct 29 14:53:54 EDT 2005

if we look at the history of v4, email, http, ... it seems
clear that, if v6 actually did anything for users/sites/...
nothing we could do would stop its explosive growth.

what we seem to be demonstrating is that, since v6 brings no
perceptible benefit to the users/sites/..., that giving it away
for free can not get folk to adopt it at any perceptable rate.

discussions of *how* to give it away for free may keep folk
with too much free time on their hands amused.  but discussion
of making v6 sufficiently useful to give the user a perceptible
advantage would seem to be more germane.

technically and socially better multi-homing than v4 seems one
real thing we could do, at least for sites.  and making it easy
for sites and services to be available via v6 will at least
*allow* users to migrate, though making it attractive for them
to do so is yet another matter.

randy