[ppml] geo addressing

Howard, W. Lee Lee.Howard at stanleyassociates.com
Fri Nov 11 13:32:19 EST 2005

Interesting.

> The addresses are then reserved in the same way that ARIN
> reserves neighboring blocks when they allocate a block to
> an ISP. At that point we will know exactly which /x belongs
> to each city. But that doesn't mean that we allocate the
> addresses to exchanges in the city. The allocation may well
> go to ISPs based on their network infrastructure in and around
> a particular city. But in some cities, there will likely
> be a consortium of ISPs and exvchanges who will administer
> the allocations in the same way that APNIC NIRs administer
> allocations in some countries.

Okay, pretty clear answers.  Do I have it right that ARIN
would reserve, say, a /32 for NY, with a dotted line around
a map, then any ISP who applied for address space would get
an allocation from that /32?  ISPs would have to apply for
separate blocks in each gerrymander; local ISPs and IXen
would have portable blocks from their local /32?

> All of this is IPv6 because that is where th big block of
> unspecified address space exists. It does mean that in
> geotopological addressing we come back to the idea of
> allocating to ISPs only as many addresses as they can
> justify. No /32s. However, the /48 and /64 rules continue
> to apply because end-user networks are still the same.

Justify = 6-month projected host count?  10 year?

> --Michael Dillon

Lee