[ppml] geo addressing

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com
Fri Nov 11 12:02:08 EST 2005

On Fri, Nov 11, 2005 at 08:02:47AM +0000, Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com wrote:
> > Would you propose allocating /x to regional IXen?
> > Of a certain size, or serving a certain (defined how?)
> > region?  In addition to or lieu of existing policy?
> > IPv4 and/or/xor IPv6?
>
> Reserve, not allocate. Someone still has to do the tough
> work of analyzing world populations and the limits to growth
> in order to come up with some measure of how much networking
> activity to expect in each part of the world. This analysis
> is needed to determine how big /x is for each city and how
> to aggregate cities into larger sub-continental aggregates.

	someone, anyone... stop me NOW...
	(ok, i am making a presumption or two here, but
	i expect i am not alone)

	.. couching this as a question...

	Michael, why do you think that "world population"
	is even remotely associated w/ address utilization?
	or, in other words,
	What is your IP address? (not the address(s) used in
	your computing/communication devices).

	unless/until we get the routing locator/endpoint id split,
	the IP address is both how to get somewhere AND the target/source
	of bit streams.  Not people.  Devices.  So unless your "world
	populations" and "limits to growth" are applied to devices,
	i can't really buy into your arguments ...  except as an
	intellectual exercise and -perhaps- worthy of a limited operational
	trial.  If only to empericially test the viability of this
	approach.

--bill