[ppml] 2005-1 or its logical successor

Howard, W. Lee Lee.Howard at stanleyassociates.com
Wed Nov 9 16:44:33 EST 2005

I don't understand.  HTTP traffic is typically lopsided
outbound from the server.  Are you suggesting hosting
companies would charge more per inbound bit than carriers,
or that they'd develop new traffic/business models?  Or
did I misunderstand which direction pays whom?

> It's arguably "better" and "faster" because local traffic
> stays local and
> inbound traffic takes the most direct route; at a macro
> level, both are good
> for the Internet.  Less long-haul traffic means transit
> prices should drop, leading to "cheaper".

No more cold-potato routing.  OK.

> However, I don't think any ISPs in isolation would see enough
> "better,
> faster, cheaper" to justify making the move.  It only works
> if everyone does
> it, which is contrary to human nature.  We're long past the
> days of doing
> things for the common good, at least when they require a
> fundamental change in business models.

Maybe we should just give very large blocks to exchanges,
which they could assign to customers for regional use.  In
addition to current policy.

> > However, the same
> > company owns UUNET and MAE-*, so there might be some
> > interest,
>
> I don't buy that argument.  I can't think of a reason that an
> IX-based model
> would improve a "tier 1's" profitability, and can think of
> several reasons they wouldn't.

Ehh, yeah, but they'd have a good shot at being first mover,
or beating competing IX-builders based on name recognition.

> > but I think having a single point of failure (nuke the IX) in
> > each geographical area sounds contrary to good
> > internetwork design.
>
> Dillon points out that an IX isn't strictly required; for

Yes, that's a good point.  I'd like it to scale, and I'm
wondering if there's an intermediate position where there's
a regional aggregate but non-IX-ians leak more specifics.
Need to sit down at a whiteboard for a few minutes on that
one.

> All in all, I'm not sure I support this idea.  It's
> technically interesting,
> but I'm not sure if it's viable in today's market.  If we'd
> done it a decade ago, however...

I misunderstood you then, and thought you were advocating.

Is anyone formulating a proposal for geographically-based
allocations/assignments based on this discussion?

Lee