[ppml] IPv6>>32

Kevin Loch kloch at hotnic.net
Mon May 16 19:14:52 EDT 2005

Stephen Sprunk wrote:
> Don't be distracted by RFC 3177 using the terms "should" and "recommend";
> ARIN policy imports those suggestions and turns them into rules by omitting
> similarly liberal wording, even if that wasn't the intent -- and I think it
> was.  I don't see any leeway for an LIR to assign less than a /48 to "home
> network subscribers", which dorm residents certainly are.

An ISP does not have to assign space to every customer.  The customer
may use ISP infrastructure space out of the /48 for each POP.
In a university, this may be a /64 for each building.  On
a cable system it might be a /64 for each cable segment.
There are no rules or guidelines for how an ISP may use the /48 for
each POP.

Only when Assignment event occurrs does the customer become
an "end site" and the assignment guidelines kick in.

- Kevin