[ppml] Universities (was IPv6>>32)

Glenn Wiltse iggy at merit.edu
Mon May 16 16:10:13 EDT 2005

FYI... (not nessarly directed specificly toward the posting included
bellow...)

 It seems our counterparts in Asia beleive it's perfectly legitimate
to assign a /48 to a residence... Even in some cases where there may
initialy be only one computer connected.

 If we were to mimic their policys, it would seem assigning a /48 per
doorm room, or to the people residing in a doorm room would be perfectly
acceptable.

-=-=-=-
APNIC IPv6 Guidelines

Section 8)

	8.1 Assignment size.

	RFC 3177 and the "IPv6 address allocation and assignment policy"
	state that a single ends site should ussualy be assigned a /48.

	Residential subscribers can receive a /48 when connecting through
	on-demand or always-on connections such as ADSL or CATV.

	If an end site is expected to grow, an LIR may assign a /48 to
	an end site where a /64 or /128 may initially seem more
	appropriate (for example an end site with a single computer)

	An LIR must submit a second opion request to APNIC if it plans
	to assign more then a /48 to an end site (see Section 8.2)

=-=-=-=-(sorry if there are any typos in that, I typed it by hand)-=-=-=-=