[ppml] IPv6>>32

Michael.Dillon at radianz.com Michael.Dillon at radianz.com
Mon May 16 05:09:01 EDT 2005

> I think this /48 per room stuff is just a little over the top.
> Is this "just because we can"??  Let's try to show a little sense
> and some version of reality rather than extreme future fantasy...
> are there really going to be 64K *subnets* in each dorm room???

I think people are confused about whether dorm rooms are
like private apartments or like hotel rooms. If they are
like private apartments, then they should get a /48 but if
they are like hotel rooms, then a /64 should be able to
service a whole floor if not more. I suspect that the majority
of dorms are more like student hotels than they are like
private apartments. In any case, I don't think it is fruitful
to try to count the number of subnets or hosts in any particular
room.

> which brings me another complaint about this thread...  people
> are talking like networks should assign a /64 per host.  these are
> subnets, people!!  they might even have 10s of hosts using one prefix!

Again, what are we talking about? Are hosts single machines with
a single port providing an IPv6 network attachment point? Or are
they devices containing several internal IPv6 networks, each
communicating with different external IPv6 networks doing jobs
like service monitoring, control plane, data collection...
Again, I don't think it is fruitful to start getting into the
internal architecture of devices to decide whether or not they
are hosts. If the person in charge of said device says that
a /64 is required, then I'm happy to give a /64.

Simple rules of thumb can be applied to resolve these kinds of
issues.

--Michael Dillon