[ppml] IPv6>>32

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Thu May 12 20:35:50 EDT 2005

In a message written on Thu, May 12, 2005 at 04:39:20PM -0700, william(at)elan.net wrote:
> I would suspect that the same would be true for IPv6 and ISPs would report
> to ARIN (and thus it would be visible in public whois) assignments of /48
> blocks but single host assignments of /64 would be optional.

I believe per sectin 6.5.5 of the NRPM that /64's must be registered as
well, although I must admit the wording leaves something to be desired:
To save you from having to open a browser, I quote:

] When an organization holding an IPv6 address allocation makes IPv6
] address assignments, it must register assignment information in a
] database, accessible by RIRs as appropriate (information registered by
] an RIR/NIR may be replaced by a distributed database for registering
] address management information in future). Information is registered in
] units of assigned /48 networks. When more than a /48 is assigned to an
] organization, the assigning organization is responsible for ensuring
] that the address space is registered in an RIR/NIR database.