[ppml] IPv6>>32

Kevin Loch kloch at hotnic.net
Thu May 12 16:05:45 EDT 2005

Owen DeLong wrote:
> Verizon gets away with this in IPv4 because there is a perceived
> scarcity of addresses, and, people will let them get away with it
> as a result.

Verizon does this because there is an actual scarcity of addresses
and they are encouraged to do it by ARIN policy.

I don't know how many residential customers there are in North America,
but let's take a wild guess of 10 million.  If Each customer
received a /28, that would consume 9.5 /8's  Follow that trend
in other reigons and -poof-  IPv4 is gone faster than you think.

The dynamic assignment of a single ip can be traced back to
RFC 2050:

    7.  Due to constraints on the available free pool of IPv4 address
        space, the use of static IP address assignments (e.g., one
        address per customer) for dial-up users is strongly discouraged.
        While it is understood that the use of static addressing may
        ease some aspects of administration, the current rate of
        consumption of the remaining unassigned IPv4 address space does
        not permit the assignment of addresses for administrative ease.
        Organizations considering the use of static IP address
        assignment are expected to investigate and implement dynamic
        assignment technologies whenever possible.

And the current ARIN policy states:

     4.1.7. RFC 2050 - ARIN takes guidance from allocation and
     assignment policies and procedures set forth in RFC 2050. These
     guidelines were developed to meet the needs of the larger Internet
     community in conserving scarce IPv4 address space and allowing
     continued use of existing Internet routing technologies.

Now there is a difference between dialup pools and "always on"
residential connections but customer expectations were set by the dialup
experience.

This is one problem that IPv6 is supposed to, and will solve.
Residential phone/cable companies will probably be the last ones to
deploy IPv6.  This is a good thing because the rest of us get to set the
consumers expectations before they have a chance to screw it up.

> Verizon will face competition in IPv6 that will gladly give end users
> a /64 or /48 because they don't really have to do much to justify that
> they have done so and they don't have to worry about having such
> assignments
> questioned by their RIR.

They will have to swip or rwhois each /48, which they don't have to do
right now with "address pools".  Perhaps we should change policy
to encourage assignment of /48's by only requiring documentation of
aggregate customers instead of each /48?

- Kevin