[ppml] IPv6>>32

Jeff Williams jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com
Thu May 12 11:54:49 EDT 2005

Leo and all,

  No offense, but the average Joe knows much more than your
giving him credit for...  And as such an assumption is troubling
with regards to participation, many average Joe's also know that
this attitude is so prevalent that many of them feel as though
they are being relegated to being ignorant improperly...

Leo Bicknell wrote:

> In a message written on Thu, May 12, 2005 at 01:19:51AM -0700, Owen DeLong wrote:
> > Verizon gets away with this in IPv4 because there is a perceived
> > scarcity of addresses, and, people will let them get away with it
> > as a result.
>
> I don't think it's a perceived scarcity of addresses, as I don't
> think Joe Average, or even your average small business network admin
> has any idea.
>
> The problem is, they have a near-monopoly on a number of services.
> Indeed, with their fiber offering it's worse as in some places they
> are cutting copper as the fiber is installed, and the fiber is not
> subject to UNE's yet.  In the end, it's the same reason you pay $8
> for a beer, and $5 for a hot dog at a sporting event.  Neither beer
> nor hot dogs are in short supply, but the owners of the venue have
> artificially created scarcity by limiting the food vendors and what
> you can bring in.  I firmly expect the same behavior from providers
> who have basically been trying to enforce lock-in their entire
> history.
>
> Recent regulations are not helping matters, making it easier for
> iLECs and Cable Providers to insure that no competitive offerings
> exist to the home.
>
> I'm still optimistic.  I think we'll get a /64 to the home.  It's
> mainly based around an assumption that people will want autoconfiguration
> to work, so a /64 will be required.  I think the hopes of a /48 on
> "home" service are slim to none though, as the Verizon's of the
> world are going to first wonder why you need more than a /64, but
> more importantly if they do give it to you it will be for a cost
> as an additional revenue stream.  Those who need multiple subnets
> will find NAT, or subdividing the /64 much cheaper options.
>
> --
>        Leo Bicknell - bicknell at ufp.org - CCIE 3440
>         PGP keys at http://www.ufp.org/~bicknell/
> Read TMBG List - tmbg-list-request at tmbg.org, www.tmbg.org

>    Part 1.2   Type: application/pgp-signature

Jeffrey A. Williams
    Pierre Abelard

P: i.e., whether B is less than PL."
Updated 1/26/04