[ppml] ARIN participation (was: Proposed Policy: IPv6 HD rati o)

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed May 11 19:33:36 EDT 2005

At the risk of being declared industry elite, I'll second what Bill says
below.  Don't worry about speaking up not knowing the history.  Someone will
explain it to you.

I remember in the latter half of 2003 when some folks from AfriNIC proposed
policy 2003-15.  It provided for specific microassignments for Africa
without relief for North America.  I took great offense, and, a long
debate ensued.  I think I was public enemy number one for many of the
African ISPs on the list for some time.  Later, I came to realize that
they were unaware of proposal 2002-3 and the history of efforts for
microassignment policy in ARIN.  At that point, we were able to come to
mutual understanding and agreement.  Both 2002-3 and 2003-15 achieved
consensus with broad support in North America  and Africa.  Now, 2003-15
is about to be retired because of the success in getting AfriNIC up and
running, largely due to the efforts of these bold individuals.

Speak up.  It may not be comfortable, it may not be easy, but, in the end,
speaking tends to work better than silence.  I suspect neither 2002-3 or
2003-15 would have achieved success without the understanding we achieved
through that debate.

Owen

--On Wednesday, May 11, 2005 12:31 PM -0500 Bill Darte