[ppml] IPv6>>32

william(at)elan.net william at elan.net
Wed May 11 08:54:49 EDT 2005

On Wed, 11 May 2005 Michael.Dillon at radianz.com wrote:

>> While this might be true, it can be argued that given v6 uses the
>> same routing technology as v4, v6 also doesn't consider the idea that
>> networks can dock and undock.
>
> Docking and undocking are the same thing as switching providers.
> IPv6 *DOES* consider this idea. That is why every end-site is
> given a fixed size /48 block of addresses. That way their
> subnet plan stays intact when they switch providers, whether
> or not they do it several times a day or once every few years.

And lets not forget this very important point and not argue for having
system where providers can assign blocks of different size.

/48 is VERY good number and will accommodate almost ever end-site and
uniformity in assignments will greatly help MIP (Mobil IP) and non-bgp
based multihoming.

So I don't think we should change /48 and I dont think we should be so
worried about running out of ip6 addresses, we really do have enough of
them. That does not however mean that its bad idea to change HD ratio
as it does appear to waste too much space for large companies whose
userbase may not be growing as much as HD ratio would allow for.

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks
william at elan.net