[ppml] Proposed Policy: IPv6 HD ratio

Geoff Huston gih at apnic.net
Tue May 10 18:39:19 EDT 2005

>No, but, I really think a 31% rate is liberal.  I think that the HD ratio
>isn't necessarily the correct approach.  The inherent assumption that
>hierarchical complexity is geometrically proportional to total address
>space does not fit with my experience.  As such, I think we're trying to
>use one approximation as an input into a forumula to determine another
>approximation and then taking the inverse log of the rounding error.

Better actual data would help here, without doubt. APNIC is conducting a
survey of its members at the moment to gain more information about
network structure and address plans (results to be presented at APNIC 20
in September), but of course more information and data here is always
helpful to the overall process.

     Geoff