[ppml] Proposed Policy: IPv6 HD ratio

Howard, W. Lee L.Howard at stanleyassociates.com
Tue May 10 15:12:58 EDT 2005

I tried to do some numbers on this recently, using large telco-ISPs,
cable providers, and dial providers.

If you assign /48 to end users (whether dial, cable, or T1/T3/x),
and you have, say, 500 end users on a router, that's a /39 per router.
Say you have several routers (or whatever L3 aggregation device) in a
POP; let's reserve space for 8, you have /36 per POP.
I don't know how many POPs you have in a metro area, but let's reserve
16, which I make to be /32 per metro area.
If you carve your metro areas into regions (say, Northeast,
Southwest, etc., in the US, or maybe national borders in other
regions, within an AS) you might need another layer of hierarhcy,
up to 16, so now within a rough continent, one large ISP needs a
/28 in one part of the world.

Because of the additional layers of hierarchy, a large ISP is
assumed to have fewer customer assignments within its allocation
than a smaller one.  The ISP above may only have a couple of
customers, but address space is reserved at each level of the
hierarchy.  Under some definition, that's less efficient.
That's the argument, anyway.

If you want, you can continue the thought exercise further and
assume some level of competition (8-16 ISPs per region, 4 bits),
maybe more customers on a single router (2000? 11 bits), and factor
in the 6 continents (3 bits) and find yourself with a /10 used
before we even start.

Lee