[ppml] IPv6>>32

Tony Hain alh-ietf at tndh.net
Tue May 10 14:05:56 EDT 2005

Howard, W. Lee wrote:
> Looks to me like the debate is about the values of "egregious" and
> "miserly."
> Personally, I tend toward conservatism, on the basis that it's easier to
> loosen the sphincter than tighten it.

In general the RIR community has become so accustomed to conservatism that
they can't see any reason to even consider that they might be killing off
innovation in the process. We are working in a multi-dimensional problem
space. Consider it like a balloon where squeezing hard on one side to
minimize the perceived local problem space causes problems in another area
to expand. Yes the IETF has taken a position that causes the RIR side of the
balloon to expand, but that was intentional to create some perspective of
balance over the entire set. The amount of expansion is not that great, it
just appears so for those who can't shift their focus off of squeezing the
last drop out of the rapidly shrinking IPv4 pool.

Tony