[ppml] IPv6>>32

Tony Hain alh-ietf at tndh.net
Tue May 10 14:05:19 EDT 2005

Leo Bicknell wrote:
> You did not say this directly, so I will ask directly.
>
> Am I correct in assuming that you believe 32 bits of host space (4
> billion hosts per subnet) is a constraint that qualifies as "miserly",
> and that will lead to the adoption of IPv6 NAT?

You appear to be focused on absolute utilization efficiency. CGA approaches
like:
http://www.ietf.cnri.reston.va.us/proceedings/02jul/slides/send-2/tsld003.ht
trade space efficiency for authenticity. Approaches like using RFC3041
addresses for everything trade utilization efficiency for immunity to
scanning attacks.

Maximizing allocation efficiency is simply one dimension in a
multi-dimensional problem space.

Tony