[ppml] IPv6>>32

Michael.Dillon at radianz.com Michael.Dillon at radianz.com
Tue May 10 06:17:41 EDT 2005

> I'm not sure that we should be in the business of built in obsolescence,

We are not talking about built-in obsolescence. Rather we
are talking about TRUST. Do we trust the IP engineers and
RIR members of the future to recognize when and if IPv6
addressing needs to be revised? Do we trust them to do the
right thing?

If we do, then the best course of action is to leave
well-enough alone. We have shown that it is likely
to work just find for many decades. In particular,
Geoff Huston has shown that if there is a future need
for a revised IPv6 addressing plan, there are lots
of spare addresses to use for this great renumbering.

It is premature to be changing the addressing scheme
when we have so little experience with IPv6. In that
repsect we simply are not qualified to make these decisions.
We should leave this decision to the experts. And who
are those experts? The engineers of the future who
will have 10-20 years of IPv6 operational experience
are the experts I am referring to.

--Michael Dillon