[ppml] IPv6>>32

Michael.Dillon at radianz.com Michael.Dillon at radianz.com
Tue May 10 06:08:55 EDT 2005

> > Final consideration, do you really believe in 50-100 years we will
still
> > be using IP at all ?.
>
> Yes, but, the more I learn about the current state of IPv6, the more I
think
> it will either be IPv4 or whatever replaces IPv6.

This kind of thinking leads to surprises out of left field.
If all current IPv4 network operators think this way, that does
not mean that IPv6 will disappear. It means that IPv6 will be
used by people outside the IP network mainstream and then suddenly
one day we discover that every hospital in the world is filled
with devices communicating over IPv6 and they want to cut
costs of network connectivity by getting rid of their V6-V4
gateways. Or we discover that all cellphones use IPv6 on their
internal networks and manufacturers are beginning to release
componentized phones where you can mix and match transcievers,
cameras, audio devices, amplifiers, radio tuners, etc. Suddenly
IPv6 becomes the protocol of choice for home entertainment
systems to interface with the componentized phones. And so on.

What we have here is a failure of imagination.

--Michael Dillon