[ppml] IPv6>>32

Kevin Loch kloch at hotnic.net
Mon May 9 22:14:43 EDT 2005

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ wrote:
> There has been a strong effort in coding and deployment. May be not so much
> in US, but definitively in AP and Europe, which can't be changed so easily.

I have yet to see any evidence of widespread deployment to end users
even in places with lots of /32's.  Put up a website that gets traffic
from those reigons and see how much comes via IPv6.  My small data
set indicates about 0.2%.  Maybe Google can provide some good data
when they light up AAAA records.

Now would be a good time to consider addressing policy changes before
actual widespread deployment occurrs.

o  Increasing the H-D ratio is a no brainer.  I have advocated this
    several times before. Esitmated benefit: 3 bits.

o  Changing the default assignment for end sites to /56 (or even /60)
    is a good idea. Even if the threshold for upgrading to /48 was just
    asking, the typical non technical end site would not.  This would
    probably save 6-7 (10-11) bits on average, a huge benefit.

So we could have 9-14 extra bits with just those proposals. At that
point I would rather recover payload space through some ugly hack than
recover address space from 64-128.

There is also the issue of the gigantic windfall for early adopters
that would result from moving /32 to /64  I thought we weren't supposed
to do that again?

- Kevin