[ppml] Re: 2005-1:Multi-national Business Enablement

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Sun May 8 13:30:13 EDT 2005

> There are other benefits to IPv6 than just more address space.

People keep making this claim, but, I have not seen anyone back this up
in any concrete way with the current IPv6 implementations.

Would you care to explain what some of these are?  I can show you several
new limitations in IPv6 that are problematic vs. IPv4:

	1.	Lack of a rational microassignment policy or any method
		for delivery of PI addresses to end sites.

	2.	In many ways, renumbering is more difficult than in IPv4.
		(Don't get me wrong, I am not a fan of NAT, and, will be
		somewhat glad to see it gone, but, NAT did facilitate easy
		external renumbering).

	3.	Insanely complex multihoming theories and no actual practice
		as yet unless you are an ISP.

	4.	Multiple levels of additional complexity and little or no
		clarity on correct methods for choosing a source address
		for a given datagram.

I'm sure there are other disadvantages, but, these are the most prominent
ones
that come to mind immediately.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to IPv6, I'm just not sold on it yet
either.  I think it's still a work in progress, but, I also think it still
needs quite a bit of work before it's ready for prime-time.  Also, I just
haven't seen enough benefit to it yet to justify the extra baggage that
comes with it, or, the limitations it imposes.

Owen