[ppml] /48 vs /32 micro allocations, answer: /48

Kevin Loch kloch at hotnic.net
Wed Mar 16 16:03:13 EST 2005

Owen DeLong wrote:

>> Increasing the minimum allocation size for a few hundred micro
>> allocations to 1 / 4billionth of the total address space is not
>> wasteful. If you are concerned with relative waste you might want
>> to look at the HD ratio of 0.8 (!) that is resulting in /19 allocations
>> (that's 8192 /32's right there).
>>
> Do you have any evidence to support that the number of microallocations
> would remain so small?  I tend to expect that it would not.

Had I read 2005-1 before the original post I would have suggested a
much smaller size (/44) or maybe not have posted it at all considering
the political implications. I hope nobody saw this as an attempt to
poison 2005-1 as I strongly support it even with my concerns about the
allocation size.  I really was only considering the few hundred name
server and exchange point microallocs at the time.

In any case there seems to be a strong consensus that /48's are ok for
microallocations.

Kevin