[ppml] /48 vs /32 micro allocations

Bill Darte billd at cait.wustl.edu
Tue Mar 15 08:31:38 EST 2005

IPv6 IS different.  The difference is that it has the potential to
'solidify' the operations of the Internet and to 'cement' itself in place
FOREVER.  The ULTIMATE legacy system.  Witness the difficulty in migrating
to v6 from the legacy v4.  If v4 hadn't been so good and extensible, then it
would have petered out long ago, but once a critical mass of users and
system deployments existed and this exacerabted by economic systems being
built upon that foundation, it is now nearly impossible to migrate let alone
replace.  Only the fact that we run the risk of exhaustion of space and new
arenas of communication still abound will likely FORCE the introduction and
eventual dominance of v6.  I suggest that v6 will never be replaced because
migration will simply be to risky and costly....so, my advice is get it
right and do it well (conservation) now and then let it ride.

Bill Darte