[ppml] /48 vs /32 micro allocations

Kevin Loch kloch at hotnic.net
Tue Mar 15 02:07:40 EST 2005

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com wrote:

 >     let me answer with some questions.

No, please don't.  Especially questions about IPv4
utilization in a discussion about IPv6 policy.  Trying to
blindly map IPv4 policy into IPv6 no sense at all.
*Especially* questions about advertising reachability
to hosts that aren't listening.  That can't possibly be
relevant to IPv6.

C'mon Bill, If there are benefits to /48 vs /32 allocations
state them plainly.  I'm not doubting that there are, I
just can't think of any myself, and so far you haven't
presented any.

 >     i'd like to see actual data to back these assertions.

The routes are in plain view.  There are several looking glasses
that show /48's transiting many networks.  That's not to say
that everyone is, but enough are that it is a worrying trend.

 >     (anyone willing to listen to some /96 or /112 entries?  didn't
 >      think so... :)

I sure hope not! :)

Then again, I would hope that nobody would carry deaggregated /48's
either!

Kevin Loch