[ppml] Directory Services - section 3.4.3

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Jun 15 04:01:59 EDT 2005


It's based on IPv4 and ARIN being unlikely to gain territory or a
significant additional percentage of IPv4 allocations.  Admittedly,
v6 could change things, but, frankly, it looks like v6 will most likely
make the database smaller not larger unless significant policy changes
take place.

However, another thing to consider is that when things do change, so
can policies.  I'm betting we can change ARIN policies if it becomes
necessary much faster than IPv6 will cause the policy change to be
necessary.

Owen


--On Tuesday, June 14, 2005 20:13 -0700 Jeff Williams 
<jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> Owne and all,
>
>   Good argument if your data/figures are accurate, and I cannot
> say that they are not.  However your argument is based on the
> now or near term, not the long term.  Things change quickly...
>
> Owen DeLong wrote:
>
>> --On Tuesday, June 14, 2005 10:53 AM +0100 Person who prefers not to be
>> attributed wrote:
>>
>> >> >     >            - Via CDROM to users who complete the bulk data
>> >> >     >            form.
>> >
>> >> This isn't vast overspecification. It's better described as a minimum
>> >> level of service delivery.
>> >
>> > When you put a statement like that in policy then you
>> > are implying that CD-ROM is the only acceptable media.
>> > What happens if the data won't fit on one CD-ROM. Will
>> > ARIN staff sit there swapping in CD-Rs, and then do
>> > it all over again to verify that they are all readable?
>> > If we simple say
>> >
>> No, it's not.  That would be true if there weren't a subsequent statement
>> that OTHER MEDIA can be made available at ARIN's discretion.
>> However, such a statement is present in the proposed policy, thus
>> trumping any such implication.
>>
>> > -Via recordable media to users who have signed the bulk data AUP
>> >
>> > Then we are not overspecifying the details. ARIN is still
>> > free to offer the data on a DVD-R with 5 copies of the data
>> > in different formats for $100 or on CD-R with your choice
>> > of a single data format for $2,000 dollars. The extra fee
>> > covers the time spent sitting and swapping disks. People can
>> > ask ARIN to buy a USB 2.0 or Firewire drive, load the 5 formats
>> > of the database and mail it to them. Or people can drive up
>> > to the ARIN offices with a PC containing a DLT drive and
>> > 100baseT network card to do a high-speed SMB transfer of the
>> > data onto tape.
>> >
>> Right... Then, users are free to expect any random form of media they
>> choose.  The policy as written makes it very clear that ARIN will publish
>> the data on CDROM and MAY publish it on other media upon request if ARIN
>> feels such request is not overly burdensome.  The policy as written
>> is better than your proposal, no matter how  many times you repeat your
>> proposal.
>>
>> > These are all details which are not specified in the policy
>> > and which are not possible if the policy mentions CDROM. That
>> > is why that phrase is OVERSPECIFICATION.
>> >
>> That simply isn't true.  Under the proposed policy, all of those things
>> are possible, but, the policy makes it clear that they are at ARINs
>> discretion.
>>
>> >> Staff
>> >> could probably figure out on their own if a CD-ROM made sense, but
>> >> there's no harm in saying "else...CD-ROM".
>> >
>> > Yes, there is harm in saying "else...CD-ROM". By doing that we
>> > usurp the ability of ARIN staff to use their own judgement.
>> > We are micromanaging. Do you like your boss to tell you in
>> > detail how to do your daily tasks? Policy is like instructions
>> > from the boss and good policy should not overspecify in the same
>> > way that good managers should not micromanage.
>> >
>> In my opinion, this simply isn't an accurate interpretation of the policy
>> as worded.  The policy as worded guarantees that at a minimum, CD-ROM
>> will be available.  CDROM is currently the most common form of
>> mass-storage media.  As to the data not fitting, let's look at that
>> realistically.
>>
>> The ARIN region now consists essentially of the united States and Canada.
>> To the best of my knowledge, everything else has been shifted either to
>> LACNIC or AFRINIC.  Let's overestimate a bit and say that the ARIN region
>> contains 1/2 of all IP allocations.  ARIN does not allocate or assign
>> smaller than a /22 (other than a statistically meaningless handfull of
>> exchange point allocations and the swamp).  More than 3/4ths of ARIN
>> allocations are /20 or larger.  There are roughly 16 million /24s, which
>> translates to roughly 8 million /24s in the ARIN region.  1/4 of that is
>> 2 million /24s which translate to approximately 0.5 million /22s.  The
>> remaining 6 million /24s translate into  0.375 million /20s, so, a gross
>> overestimation of the maximum size of the database is rougly 0.875
>> million records.
>>
>> I believe the average whois record is approximately 512 bytes, so, we
>> have 875,000 records at 512 bytes is 448,000,000 bytes which is
>> roughly 428 Megabytes.  A CDROM is 700 Megabytes.  You can fit almost
>> two copies of the worst case database on a CDROM.
>>
>> The argument of what happens when the database exceeds a CDROM is
>> specious.
>>
>> Owen
>>
>> --
>> If it wasn't crypto-signed, it probably didn't come from me.
>>
>>   ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>>   --
>>
>>    Part 1.2       Type: application/pgp-signature
>>               Encoding: 7bit
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Jeffrey A. Williams
> Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 134k members/stakeholders strong!)
> "Be precise in the use of words and expect precision from others" -
>     Pierre Abelard
>
> "If the probability be called P; the injury, L; and the burden, B;
> liability depends upon whether B is less than L multiplied by
> P: i.e., whether B is less than PL."
> United States v. Carroll Towing  (159 F.2d 169 [2d Cir. 1947]
> ===============================================================
> Updated 1/26/04
> CSO/DIR. Internet Network Eng. SR. Eng. Network data security
> IDNS. div. of Information Network Eng.  INEG. INC.
> E-Mail jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com
>  Registered Email addr with the USPS
> Contact Number: 214-244-4827
>
>



-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 186 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <https://lists.arin.net/pipermail/arin-ppml/attachments/20050615/fb39f8d0/attachment-0001.sig>


More information about the ARIN-PPML mailing list