[ppml] Directory Services - section 3.4.3

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Jun 15 04:10:51 EDT 2005

Well... DVD burners have improved a bit from last time I looked.  The newest
ones are up to 16x, while CD burners continue to limp along at about 54x.

However, I don't share your optimism about the pricing on the media.  As to
long term thinking, when it comes to something that long term, the policy
can easily be changed when we get to that point.  Right now, the database
easily fits on CD with room to spare and I don't see any advantage to
specifying DVD instead.  Every DVD drive will read a CD.  The reverse is
not true.  When we get to a point where CD drives that don't read DVDs
are mostly a thing of the past, and, media is the same cost, then, I can't
imagine it will be more than trivial effort to update the policy
accordingly.

ARIN policies do not need to be long term on the kind of time horizon you're
talking about here.  They should work for at least a couple of years, but,
sacrificing current compatibility in the name of long term optimism when
it is so easy to update them is suboptimal in my opinion.

Owen

--On Tuesday, June 14, 2005 20:18 -0700 Jeff Williams