[ppml] Directory Services - Take 2

Andrew Newton andy at hxr.us
Mon Jun 13 16:20:40 EDT 2005

On Jun 13, 2005, at 11:49 AM, Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com wrote:

>> If IP addresses are opaque to the
>> DIT, that means you aren't using the DIT which begs the question of
>> why you are using LDAP.  This problem is far more complex than you
>> are painting it.
>>

> This problem has already been solved. Just take the XML
> schema from IRIS and map it into LDAP.

This would need to be specified.  As Ed suggested earlier, you should
document this mapping for all to see.

My apologies to Leo and everybody else for taking this thread down
the LDAP pros vs. cons avenue.  Let us not derail the original topic.

I think there is some concern that listing wire protocols is too
specific, and this type of high-degree of specificity has caused
trouble in the past.  On the other hand, there is concern that if
there is no policy regarding newer wire protocols (be it LDAP, IRIS,
or CHEESE-WIZ), then ARIN will never get around to deploying them.

Perhaps the right thing to do is to concentrate the policy only on
the currently deployed access mechanisms and leave room for future
access mechanisms.

-andy