[ppml] Directory Services - Take 2

Andrew Newton andy at hxr.us
Mon Jun 13 09:14:15 EDT 2005

On Jun 13, 2005, at 8:35 AM, Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com wrote:

> IRIS (formerly called FIRS)

IRIS and FIRS were never the same thing.  They were two totally
different proposals.

[..snip..]

> Actually, given the fact that someone whipped together a working
> prototype of LDAP-based FIRS in a couple of days, I wonder why
> people continue to chase this overly narrow protocol. Wouldn't
> it make more sense to develop an XML directory access protocol
> that provides XML-encapsulated access to directories that are
> currently stored in LDAP backends?

LDAP is a protocol.  The back-end for ARIN is what is stored in their
relational databases.  Are you proposing that ARIN re-engineer their
entire registration system just so they can have an LDAP backend?

-andy