[ppml] Directory Services - Take 2

Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com
Mon Jun 13 05:57:32 EDT 2005

> How do we indicate that ARIN spends time and effort on
> helping IRIS through the IETF process as well as helps provide the
> servers and clients?  (Note: "provide" does not mean the staff
> implements and maintains the code.  It *could* mean that the budget
> has money set aside to fund the development.)

> Edward Lewis +1-571-434-5468
> NeuStar

I believe you are the primary author of IRIS and since
Neustar is in the domain name business, the main group
which will benefit from IRIS, I have to ask this. Why
should ARIN spend money or energy to support the domain
name industry? It is simply not what ARIN is there to do.

And I wonder, if ARIN did spend money on IRIS development,
how much of that money might find its way into your pocket
somewhere down the line?

I'm not accusing you of anything here, but this discussion
is about policymaking and it is customary, when making policies,
to make sure that any conflicts of interest are publicly noted
so that people can factor them into their decisions. Perhaps you
have never found yourself in such a position before and are not
aware of this.

--Michael Dillon