[ppml] Directory Services - Take 2

Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com
Mon Jun 13 05:26:04 EDT 2005

> In a message written on Mon, May 09, 2005 at 04:07:42PM -0400, Leo
> Bicknell wrote:
> >        ARIN shall publish the APID in the following methods using
> >        industry standard practices:

> This section sets forth the minimum set of things ARIN staff must
> support _NO MATTER WHAT THE COST_.

Interesting to note that you saw no need to use the acronym
APID in your posting. In that case, why do we need to invent
2 new acronymns, APID and ACID? On the one hand, ACID is
already a common technical acronym used by people who deal
with databases, so why should the ARIN internal database
suddenly try to coopt this term?

Seems to me that the "ARIN whois directory" is good enough
and most of the time can be shortened to "whois directory".
Bye bye APID. As for ARIN's private data, it certainly does
not need a public acronym or even a public name. And I don't
really see the need to even mention it in policies beyond
the mention of the fact that ARIN collects certain bits of
information. We can assume that this information is stored
in various internal databases that are protected by ARIN's
privacy policies and the laws of the USA. No need to deal
with this stuff in the "whois directory" policy.

--Michael Dillon