[ppml] Directory Services - Take 2

william(at)elan.net william at elan.net
Fri Jun 10 12:57:37 EDT 2005

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005, Bill Woodcock wrote:

>    > What percentage of requests for data are CD-ROM based?
>
> Presumably a very small number, which would seem to make it inefficient to
> keep a mechanism in place to serve a small number of potential requests
> which could just as well be served via the normal mechanism.

There are certain organizations that want to make certain data they got
came from ARIN and has in no way been altered. So alternative to this
for those organizations would be for arin to put the bulk data in archive,
and encrypt/sign it with their private key and then distribute through
secure channel. Doing CDROM dump is faster/easier until all technologies
and standards to do all that are readily available.

And I suspect those who do need CDROM dumps will be willing to compensate
whatever manual labor is required ... If number of requests is low, you
have nothing to worry about as far as ARIN staff taking too much time on it.

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks
william at elan.net