[ppml] Proposed Policy: Adding an HD ratio choice for new IPv4 allocations

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Feb 23 02:06:50 EST 2005

At a higher level, if 80% of the address space is assigned (i.e. carved
up into subnets) and each subnet is 80% utilized (i.e. efficiently
utilized), things tend to work out rather well.  There are a few
pathological cases where efficient subnet utilization is closer to
50% than 80%, but, in most large address pools, these do not tend to
represent a significant portion of the address space and do not
create a statistically meaningful drop in utilization.  In general,
when ARIN is reviewing allocations, they look for 80% assignment to
count utilization.  When reviewing assignments, they look for 80%
host usage with some fudge factor allowed in justifiable cases.

Owen

--On Tuesday, February 22, 2005 17:18 -0500 Charles Scott