[ppml] Proposed Policy: Adding an HD ratio choice for new IPv4 allocations

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Feb 22 15:59:42 EST 2005

--On Tuesday, February 22, 2005 3:03 PM -0500 Charles Scott
<cscott at gaslightmedia.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Feb 2005, Owen DeLong wrote:
>>
>> Further, if you have, in fact, issued /29s to the customers,
>> then you have "utilized" for the ARIN term, 200 addresses
>> per POP, not the 125 you claim.  200/256 is 0.78125, so,
>> if you've done your entire network in this manner and you
>> don't have any other small assignments in your POPs to take
>> up the remaining (1 /29, 1 /28, 1 /27) prefixes aggregated
>> to that POP (and for some reason, you can't put them elsewhere
>> in your network as more specifics (?), then, I suppose that
>> you might have some difficulty with the 80% rule.
>> However, if you had 26 customers per POP, or, managed to
>> find a need for that /27 (say the POP infrastructure), then,
>> you'd have no problem with the current 80% rule.
>
> Owen:
>   I'm not sure about your comments above, It's been my understanding, that
> address space assigned to an ISP's customers is considered 100% utilized
> as far as the ISP's address reassignment pool is concerned--provided of
> course that there was adequate justification for the assignment to the
> customer (re: 25%/50% rule) in the first place. It's also been my
> understanding that an ISP effectively assigns address space to itself from
> their reassignment pool when it is to be the end user of the space and
> that space needs to be justified under the 25%/50% rule. If there's no
> argument about that, then there is a clear separation in the how the
> justification is assessed for an ISP's reassignment pool vs end user
> address space. Therefore my point on HD ratio not being necessary for
> end-user utilization and not being relevant to a reassignment pool.
>
> Chuck Scott
> cscott at gaslightmedia.com

Only problem is that you are not correct about the 25/50% rule.  That only
applies to the INITIAL allocation to an end-user organization and does
NOT apply to additional assignments.  Additional assignments are still
subject to the 80% of all existing space and 50% of most recent allocation
rule.

Owen