[ppml] Policy Proposal 2004-3 Global Addresses for Private Network Inter -Connectivity

Chip Mefford cpm at well.com
Wed Feb 16 14:06:52 EST 2005

Hi Andrew: (all)

Andrew Dul wrote:
| Chip Mefford <cpm at well.com> wrote:
|
|>Randy Bush wrote:
|>| this is arin, not some advice to the hacker group.  use of 1918
|>| space is dangerous and can cause nasty surprises to pop up
|>| years later.  see
|>|
|>|     <http://rip.psg.com/~randy/040226.apnic-nats.pdf>.
|>snip
|>who are tiny, and must get by with (-also, another generally bad
|>idea, CIDRs- of) /26 or /28s or less.
|>
|>What choice have we?
|
| So what is preventing you from requesting a larger block from your
| upstream (or ARIN if you have a large enough network) to include the
addresses that
| you currently NAT?  Is it economic?  ie. the recurring cost your
current upstream
|"charges" for additional address space?  or  the cost of readdressing?
  Something else?

Principally economic. I'm a small guy, and I know it, and so does my
upstream (at&t).
I could do pretty well on a /24, but had to cry to get a /26. They only
want to hand out /28s and have folks use NAT. Further, they don't want
to see virtual IP hosts, (which makes ssl hosting kinda tricky).
Were I large enough for /20, I could probably afford it. But I'm a "Free
Community Wireless ISP" and as such, don't have a lot of clout, and my
cash flow is primarily derived from other kind community members, and
my day job.

Now, I could take this opportunity to whine about certain commercial
organizations squatting on /8s for no good reason other than being
around for a while, but that wouldn't really be constructive.

Nor would stating that despite media frenzy and panic to the contrary,
there is plenty of ip address space, a great deal of which is completely
wasted.

But I did it anyway.

I started doing nat/masq at my day job 9 years ago, when economic
reality and growth forced me to move from a 28.8 dial-up with a /24 from
uunet, to a 56k frame from psi (heh) with a /28 because it was
cost-equivalent. And a /28 was all psi was willing to give up without a
huge (and recurring) surcharge.

So, that's life.
It's not what I would choose, but there are a lot of us out
here and this is how we deal with it. But you know that.

| Andrew

- --chipper