[ppml] Deaggregation in the ARIN region Was: [nanog] The Cidr Report

Michael.Dillon at radianz.com Michael.Dillon at radianz.com
Wed Feb 16 05:25:41 EST 2005

> On Tue, Feb 15, 2005 at 09:50:47AM +0000, Michael.Dillon at radianz.com
wrote:

>   It is not ARIN's job to create a "best practice"
>   document for Internet operations.
>
> [naive but serious question from the academy:]
>
> whose job is it?
>
> [you guys know the fcc has heard about us now, right?]

I would say that it's the IETF's job to PUBLISH a best practice
document but I'm not sure whether it is their job to create the
document. If NANOG were a real organization, I would place the
responsibility there, but since NANOG is not a real operators
organization, I think that the United States Telephone
Association is the closest thing that we have to a network
operators organization. In know for a fact that the FCC has heard
of the USTA.

And then there is the ISP/C which merged with the CIX and ended
up somehow as the US ISPA http://www.cix.org/ but I have no idea
what, if anything, they do.

On second thought, now that NANOG is going to become some sort
of corporate entity with a board, perhaps we should have an
agenda item to discuss whether or not ARIN should urge NANOG to
publish an aggregation BCP via the IETF's RFC process.

NANOG has always been the meeting place for the network research
community, the network operations community and the network vendor
community (hardware and software). This formula has worked extremely
well in deploying the Internet over the last decade or so and I
think ARIN should support NANOG but not try to usurp any of the
activities which rightly belong to the NANOG umbrella.

--Michael Dillon