[ppml] Policy Proposal 2004-3 Global Addresses for Private Network Inter -Connectivity

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Tue Feb 15 23:19:43 EST 2005

this is arin, not some advice to the hacker group.  use of 1918
space is dangerous and can cause nasty surprises to pop up
years later.  see

    <http://rip.psg.com/~randy/040226.apnic-nats.pdf>.

folk who understand what they're getting into may choose to use
it.  heck, i do for part of my home networks, as my dsl isps are
stingy with address space.  and it causes pain via a number of
applications is breaks, e.g. sip/rtp.

but the rir's members are of all flavors, wise, newbies, ...  we
should not be directly *encouraging* use of a technique known to
be dangerous.  and lirs (kinda isps in the rest of the world)
have been known to seriously abuse this, e.g. a colonial ptt
forcing an in-country isp to use nat and a /27 for their entire
operation.  and the ptt will point to your *encourage* and
stonewall.

you can look at how apnic and ripe now phrase it.  i think it is
more "you may want to look at" or something.

randy