[ppml] Deaggregation in the ARIN region Was: [nanog] The Cidr Report

Michael.Dillon at radianz.com Michael.Dillon at radianz.com
Tue Feb 15 04:50:47 EST 2005

> Third, and most important, does anyone care?  We're not at a stage
> anymore where the routers are on the verge of falling over.  Other
> than a few complainers, it's not clear this issue impacts the day
> to day operation of anyone's network in a significant way.

Exactly.

There is no agreed problem to solve. I have no idea
what these people are complaining about. The nearest
I can tell is that they don't like the top ten organizations
on the list at the CIDR report. I'd like to point out
that any list of networks will always have a top ten.
There is nothing wrong with being on the top of a list.

Before ARIN takes any action at all, education or
otherwise, the people calling for action need to
present a clear statement of the problem and the
actions that they desire from network operators.
If there really is a "best practice" here that is
not practiced by enough networks, then we need an
authoritative document that defines this "best practice"
before we can do anything.

It is not ARIN's job to create a "best practice"
document for Internet operations.

--Michael Dillon