[ppml] Deaggregation in the ARIN region Was: [nanog] The Ci dr Report

Hannigan, Martin hannigan at verisign.com
Sun Feb 13 18:31:01 EST 2005

Not a bad idea, but don't confuse apathy with responsibility.
Aggregation isn't a new concept.

> Too many networks deaggregate their announcements for no reason simply
> because they don't realize there's any reason they shouldn't.
>
> Covering things like route filtering (i.e. not leaking
> provider A's routes
> to provider B) would be nice.  Might even mention the use of routing
> registries (radb, altdb, ARIN's own one, etc.).
>
> To make a bad analogy, right now, ARIN's like a gun shop
> selling guns with
> no manuals and no safety literature.  Not everyone who's
> buying knows how
> to use them safely.

I would be a good idea to ask the operators/NANOG to get this into
their BGP BoF curriculum and have it stay there.

http://www.nanog.org/mtg-0501/smith.html

About ARIN says:

"and supports efforts to keep the global routing tables to a manageable
size to ensure information can be routed over the Internet."

What more could ARIN do other than send in the leg breakers?

-M<