[ppml] Deaggregation in the ARIN region Was: [nanog] The Cidr Report

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Sun Feb 13 12:59:42 EST 2005

> I was wondering if people in the ARIN region agreed with these statements
> about the ARIN region not doing enough to educate the membership about
> deaggregation, BGP annoucements etc...

the vast majority of de-aggregation in the arin region is very
intentional by a few isps who think their own mis-perceived
needs are more important than the public good.  you can see
their names at the top of the cidr report.  they are very aware
of the issues, yet persist.

> If ARIN were to do more what would you suggest?

the only things arin could do would be sufficiently draconian
as to be inappropriate.

the other isps need to act.  we are hoping that the router
vendors will provide a few knobs as have been discussed on
cisco-nsp.  this will allow us to ignore, not see and not
propagate, de-aggregated prefixes.

randy