[ppml] Proposed Policy: 4-Byte AS Number Policy Proposal

David Williamson dlw+arin at tellme.com
Fri Dec 16 11:36:56 EST 2005

On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 11:39:48PM -0800, Owen DeLong wrote:
> >I believe its good to mention that specific timeline will be posted
> >as agreed by the community. I just don't think specific timeline
> >should be set in stone at this stage as part of policy text.
>
> I think that if we don't set targets in the text of the policy, the policy
> loses most of it's value.

I've been quietly watching this thread, and the timeline seems to be biggest
point of concern.  (I think there's strong agreement that a 4-byte AS is
rather inevitable.)

I completely agree with Owen that a set timeline is vital to the
policy.  Without it, it's just a simple guideline that identifies that
we'll run out of 2-byte AS space "soon".  That's not an interesting
policy, but rather a statement of facts.  The timeline is what gives
the policy teeth.  Let's not take the bite out of it!

-David