[ppml] Proposed Policy: 4-Byte AS Number Policy Proposal

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Dec 14 10:51:11 EST 2005

> This whole issue is silly. AS numbers are 32 bit numbers
> with no internal structure whatsoever and there is nothing
> wrong with writing an AS number as 78934526. If people are
> worried that they are too ordinary they can always write
> them as 0x4B471FE.

While everything you say above is true, it's bad human engineering.

There are reasons to break numbers into chunks besides just the
presence or absence of internal structure.  Human readability
is on example.  Believe it or not, studies have shown that
humans are far more likely to be able to read/remember/repeat
accurately a number that is 5-5 than a number that is 8 or
more digits in length as a single field.

Studies have also shown that most humans don't cope as well with
Hex as they do with Decimal.  When it comes to ASNs, I'd rather
try and advocate things that will reduce the likelihood of
human error than increase it.

Owen