[ppml] Fw: ":" - Re: Proposed Policy: 4-Byte AS Number Policy Proposal

Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com
Wed Dec 14 05:32:06 EST 2005

> I'm also not thrilled with "2-byte only" and "4-byte only" ASN; there's
too
> much chance of confusion with "2-byte" and "4-byte" ASNs which have a
> different enough meaning to warrant a better distinction.  I'd prefer
> something like "legacy" vs. "expanded", "low" vs. "high", etc.

That's an example of the lack of plain English in the
proposal. Why don't we just talk about AS numbers greater
than 65535 or AS numbers less than 65536?

1. ARIN begin allocating AS numbers greater than 65535
to those who specifically request them starting on $date.

2. On $date ARIN will not allocate AS numbers less than
65536 unless a small number is specifically requested.

3. On $date, ARIN will no longer make a distinction
between AS numbers less than 65536 and larger ones.

Guess what? I said it in plain English so I don't have to
define what is an "AS number less than 65536" or an "AS number
greater than 65535". I also don't have to invent silly new
notations so that AS2 looks different after the change.
A number is a number is a number.

I oppose the policy as stated on the principle that ARIN's
policies must be CLEAR and UNDERSTANDABLE and a lot of work
has gone into rewriting the policy set recently to make them
much easier to understand. THIS IS IMPORTANT!

--Michael Dillon