[ppml] Proposed Policy: 4-Byte AS Number Policy Proposal

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Dec 14 03:41:49 EST 2005

> More thinking that 1023 could perceived as some as being too large a
> reservation of the top two bytes.

I'm afraid I don't understand your issue.  In 4 octet space, we have more
than 4 Billion potential ASNs.  Reserving 1023 of them doesn't really seem
to me like it matters.  Remember, it's not 1023 of each 16 bit block, it's
just 1023 of the first block.  In 32 bit parlance, 0.65520-0.65534 that
is the current private reservation.

I don't think we can really justify shrinking that range given wide
deployment
that already exists.

> Reservation of the top 1023 2 bytes in 4 byte space is a larger chunk of
> space, than is probably needed, but using the same numbers as in 2 byte
> space is easier to remember -- administrative ease.  The other side is to
> only strip off a few addresses at the top, say: 65520.x - 65534.x,
> instead  of 1023 (in the first 2 bytes of the 4.)

Is there some perceived reason to expand the space from it's
current 0.65520-0.65534? I don't see any need for that.  Think of the
current ASNs as the low-order 16 bits of a 32 bit ASN, not the high-order.
Life is much simpler that way.

> ---
>
> AS2 -> AS4 transition will mirror what will happen in IPv6
> implementation.  Won't happen until/if forced, workarounds allowing the
> continued use of AS2  space will probably be developed ala some of the
> tools which extended the  IPv4 lifetime (both good and ugly), they'll be
> some things that won't leave  IPv4 space for 10+ years, if ever, and
> they'll be grumbling all over.  In  other words, same as always.  (but no
> reason not to get started now)

I disagree for the following reasons:

AS2->AS4 transition is much simpler.
AS2 only routers can easily function in an AS2/4 mixed environment.
AS2->AS4 migration only requires changes on BGP speaking routers.
AS2->AS4 migration will essentially occur as a result of natural router
	upgrades whether people intend that to occur or not.
Most BGP Speaking routers tend to get updated relatively often.

Owen

--
If this message was not signed with gpg key 0FE2AA3D, it's probably
a forgery.