[ppml] Proposed Policy: 4-Byte AS Number Policy Proposal

Daniel Roesen dr at cluenet.de
Tue Dec 13 18:49:29 EST 2005

On Tue, Dec 13, 2005 at 11:48:22AM -0800, David Kessens wrote:
> > ok - unless I hear to the contrary I'll run with the notation <high>.<low>
> >
> > e.g. 10.1
>
> I would prefer hex notation for the numbers.

And how do you differentiate between AS1234 and AS1234 (being decimal
AS4660)? You'll need syntactic sugar again for that. And ASa5f3 doesn't
look appealing either, neither does ASA5F3 to me.

So: how would you want representation to look like?

Anyhow, that stuff will have interesting consequences to RPSL as well.
Is there any work already in progress examining those? I have to admit
that I have some understanding about the 32bit ASN hack as proposed
technically, but no idea about the discussion of problems surrounding
that. Especially the RPSL one might lead to much longer lead times than
2007-01-01 I fear.

Best regards,
Daniel