[ppml] Proposed Policy: 4-Byte AS Number Policy Proposal

william(at)elan.net william at elan.net
Tue Dec 13 16:17:07 EST 2005

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005, Geoff Huston wrote:

> At 06:38 AM 14/12/2005, william(at)elan.net wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 14 Dec 2005, Geoff Huston wrote:
>>
>>> I have to disagree with this assertion. As noted in the 4byte AS draft,
>>> and
>>> as noted in http://www.potaroo.net/ispcol/2005-08/as.html, the transition
>>> is entirely different to that associated with IPv6. In this case existing
>>> players in the inter-domain routing space have no requirement to do
>>> anything now, or in the future. Let me say it again: Folk who have 2 byte
>>> AS numbers need do _nothing_ , i.e. the transition allows for "the
>>> continued use of AS2  space" indefinitely. Please read these references,
>>> as
>>> they are intended to describe the transition situation in as
>>> comprehensive
>>> manner as possible.
>>
>> That is not quite as easy as you describe. To be able to use 32bit ASNs,
>> all routers will need to be upgraded (at least all those who want to
>> directly communicate/peer with somebody with 32bit ASN).
>

> Again, not so. I'll say it again: Please _read_ these references, as they
> are intended to describe the transition situation in as comprehensive manner
> as possible.

Ok. It is possible to peer using this special reserved asn even with 16bit
asn-only capable router but things are not going to be entirely right -
basically this would be the same as trying to use same private asn with
multiple customer networks and leaking it all out to the net. Not a pretty
picture...

Also I do have to note that anyone who actually got 32bit ASN would need
to have router that is capable of using it. This one is absolutely required.

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks
william at elan.net