[ppml] ":" - Re: Proposed Policy: 4-Byte AS Number Policy Proposal

Howard, W. Lee Lee.Howard at stanleyassociates.com
Tue Dec 13 14:56:15 EST 2005

Assume an April [1] meeting with universal support.  The AC recommends
it for last call, ten working days.  Now it's mid-May, and the AC
meets again and decides that there's been nothing but support in
last call, and forwards to the Board.  The Board agrees, and
ratifies the policy.  It's probably June by now, six months from
the date of the proposal.

> - the IANA action to actually create the expanded registry (a
> small task in
> and of itself, but it often takes some time to get to the top
> of the IANA work list)
>
> - the IANA action to allocate 5 blocks to the RIRs from the
> 4-byte only AS Number pool

Does this need to be a Global Policy?

> - The RIR to check that there are no 16 bit restrictions in
> the code base they are using in their registry code.

Existing data fields will have to be changed.  Code changes and
template changes are required.  This may be significant; I'm sure
staff will advise at the public policy meeting.

> Doubtless each of these tasks is minor in nature, but it's
> prudent to allow
> a 12 month period in order to ensure that all this can be
> done without having to rush it through.

I agree, and appreciate your work on this.

Lee

>    Geoff

[1] April 9-12, 2006, Montreal, Quebec.  Assume there's a plug for
Member Services here.